Climate & Climate Politics
No there is no clear solid direct link between climate change and Hurricane Sandy but Chris Christie (who I usually give more credit to in terms of his rational intelligence) needs to wake up. NASA Climate Scientist James Hansen (along with associates Makiko Satoa & Reto Ruedy) publish a paper that does explain how that connection while not direct is really about probabilities: Perceptions of Climate Change: The New Climate Dice.
Quoting a passage from the ThinkProgress article linked to above:
…Of course, this isn’t about whether Sandy was “caused” by climate change. It’s about whether climate change and sea level rise are making such storms more frequent and much more destructive (see links below) — and that is something we can plan for.
More related articles for Mr. Christie should review to begin his journey towards getting better information:
- Risks of Hurricane Sandy-like Surge Events Rising | Climate Central
- NASA GISS: Research Features: In a Warming World, Storms May Be Fewer but Stronger
- Hansen’s New Climate Dice – Hot, Loaded, and Misunderstood
- How Does Climate Change Make Superstorms Like Sandy More Destructive? | ThinkProgress
- Neanderthals: Extinction by BBQ? : Discovery News
- Group: Ball State science prof teaches Christianity