Climate & Climate Politics
- If you’re reading the Wall Street Journal, you’re part of the problem : Class M
For reasons that can only reflect poorly on the paper, the Wall Street Journal recently decided it was a good idea to publish an op-ed that recycled some the of the most soundly discredited notions associated with the climate change denial movement. The piece was signed by 16 ostensible “scientists,” though only four have any experience with climatology, and even they work on the extreme fringes of respectable research.
The same editors refused to publish a letter from a longer list of actual climatologists, a letter that does reflect the science of the day and one that the journal Science did see fit to publish.
The WSJ’s “travesty” of an editorial decision continues to reverberate around the blogosphere almost two weeks later. Here’s a roundup of the response, which has been summarized thusly:
… flaring anti-science syndrome suffering climate denier and delayer inanities often divert people from valuable and productive activities. Prominent eruptions of this malady, however, drive white-cell like effort to respond and dampen the damage…
- Whacking Moles: A Smörgåsbord of Sanity About “The WSJ 16″:
- Opinion today: Ignoring global warming won’t make it go away | syracuse.com
- Santorum and Gingrich dismiss climate change, vow to dismantle the EPA | The Colorado Independent
- Hoekstra Ad Raising Questions Of Racism, Xenophobia « CBS Detroit
- RealClearPolitics – Is the Tea Party Losing Its Grip on the GOP?
- Republicans – It’s Beginning to Look Like the 1950s | RedState
- The Immoral Minority: Eastwood says Chrysler ad was not in support of Obama, and that it was “just about job growth and the spirit of America.”
- Democurmudgeon: Why Do Conservatives Hate “Half Time in America?”
- A Rust Belt Revival for President Obama? – 2012 Decoded
- The 24 types of libertarian | just remember what she does when you’re asleep
- Morning Joe blog – Chrysler CEO: Commerical not a political endorsement
Economics & The Economy
- The Physics of Finance: minority games
- Robert Reich (The Republican Myth of Obama’s “Entitlement Society”)
- Where did the 2012 deficit come from? We have the…
- What Caused This Year’s Deficit?
- Taxpayers Lose $1.3 Billion in Chrysler Bailout
- In Daily Beast, Niall Ferguson Thinks You Should Bomb Iran | Politics | Religion Dispatches
- Israel and Iran on the Eve of Destruction in a New Six-Day War – The Daily Beast
- One of my favorite speakers on science…Lawrence Krauss – A Universe from Nothing | Point of Inquiry
- 16 year old girl Hacks the Tube almost into space to get into MIT | Lousy Canuck
- Holy aurora | Bad Astronomy | Discover MagazineAurora 2012 from Christian Mülhauser on Vimeo.