Again,… what does the headline here say? AOC, SANDERS, AND WARREN ARE THE REAL CENTRISTS BECAUSE THEY SPEAK FOR MOST AMERICANS.
The numbers don’t lie:
- 81 percent of voters said they either “strongly support” (40 percent) or “somewhat support” (41 percent) the Green New Deal, including 64 percent of Republicans (and even 57 percent of conservative Republicans).
- a 70 percent marginal tax rate on incomes above $10 million — condemned by “centrist” Schultz as “un-American” but backed by a majority (51 percent) of Americans. Warren proposed a 2 percent wealth tax on assets above $50 million — slammed by “moderate” Bloomberg as Venezuelan-style socialism, but supported by 61 percent of voters, including 51 percent of Republicans.
- The vast majority (70 percent) of voters, including a majority (52 percent) of Republicans, support a single-payer universal health care system, or Medicare for All. Six in 10 say it is “the responsibility of the federal government” to ensure that all Americans have access to health care coverage.
- 60 percent of the public, including a significant minority (41 percent) of Republicans, support free college “for those who meet income levels.”
- 6 in 10 (58 percent) Americans support increasing the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to (the Sanders-recommended) $15 an hour.
- six out of 10 (61 percent) Americans back stricter laws on gun control.
Do you know what really annoys me about the media’s coverage of U.S. politics, and especially the Democratic Party? Google the words “moderate” or “centrist” and a small group of names will instantly appear: Michael Bloomberg, Amy Klobuchar, Joe Biden, and, yes, Howard Schultz. Bloomberg is considered a “centrist thought leader” ( Vanity Fair).