Climate & Climate Politics
- Who knows less about global warming than Jose Canseco? Mitt Romney, for one | MNN – Mother Nature Network
- Four-Time Chapter 11 Champ Donald Trump: ‘Monstrous’ Wind Turbines Will Make Scotland ‘Go Broke’ | ThinkProgress
- Rabett Run: As Richard Alley was saying
- Shawn Lawrence Otto: Climate Change Obama Can Believe In: Why Global Warming Will Heat Campaign Trail in Coming Months
- Robert Draper Book: GOP’s Anti-Obama Campaign Started Night Of Inauguration
WASHINGTON D.C. — As President Barack Obama was celebrating his inauguration at various balls, top Republican lawmakers and strategists were conjuring up ways to submarine his presidency at a private dinner in Washington, D.C.
The event — which provides a telling revelation for how quickly the post-election climate soured — serves as the prologue of Robert Draper’s much-discussed and heavily-reported new book, “Do Not Ask What Good We Do: Inside the U.S. House of Representatives.”
According to Draper, the guest list that night (which was just over 15 people in total) included Republican Reps. Eric Cantor (Va.), Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), Paul Ryan (Wis.), Pete Sessions (Texas), Jeb Hensarling (Texas), Pete Hoekstra (Mich.) and Dan Lungren (Calif.), along with Republican Sens. Jim DeMint (S.C.), Jon Kyl (Ariz.), Tom Coburn (Okla.), John Ensign (Nev.) and Bob Corker (Tenn.). The non-lawmakers present included Newt Gingrich, several years removed from his presidential campaign, and Frank Luntz, the long-time Republican wordsmith. Notably absent were Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) — who, Draper writes, had an acrimonious relationship with Luntz.
For several hours in the Caucus Room (a high-end D.C. establishment), the book says they plotted out ways to not just win back political power, but to also put the brakes on Obama’s legislative platform.
- 9 Revelations From Robert Draper’s ‘Do Not Ask What Good We Do’ – The Daily Beast
- Brett C. Di Resta: How Frank Luntz Is Killing the GOP
- Michael L. Millenson: Health Care Reform: How Obama Delivered The Message
- “Jeremy Lin and the Political Economy of Superstars” by Kenneth Rogoff | Project Syndicate
- What I am sure is going to be labeled as a provocative controversial speech at the Fed by Libertarian (and Lew Rockwell associate) Robert Wenzel: EconomicPolicyJournal.com: My Speech Delivered at the New York Federal Reserve Bank