Archive | ScienceRSS feed for this section
Richard Dawkins & Rowan Williams Archbishop of Canterbury discuss human nature & ultimate origin – YouTube
A great video that I found myself revisiting this evening. 28,450 Likes vs 540 Dislikes That’s a killer consensus ratio if you ask me. (Thanks to Science Saved My Soul | Unreasonable Faith back on Nov 10th 2010)
Yes, many of those thinkers to whom I owe my mental freedom were religious, like Newton, a Christian, who believed God made the Earth but who then showed me why the Earth would have formed without a god’s help. Or Plank and Schrodinger, two more Christians, who believed God ruled the Universe but showed me how God could not control a single electron. The discoveries these and many other people made, the laws they are famous for, are the very things that make gods getting humans pregnant, or angels whispering to prophets in caves, look infantile. I could never and would never question their intelligence. Their honesty and intellectual consistency are a different matter.
I can stand on the shoulders of giants and see what even they seemingly could not.
I’m not against the Creator(s), if they exist, if they ever existed. I’m not against the search for the Creator(s). What blows MY mind is that people think religion has anything to do with it at all.
Wanna see “the grey-blue mist”?
Music used: “Adagio in D Minor”, from the “Surface of the Sun” soundtrack by John Murphy.
Closing montage: “Wake up” by Arcade Fire, from the album “Funeral”.
Uploaded by BarryJBelmont on Jun 4, 2011
This half hour lecture is from the McGill University’s Lorne Trottier Public Science Symposium on the confrontation and threat of pseudoscience in contemporary society. As a leading figure in this movement, Dr. Michael Shermer is more than qualified to speak on many of the issues. His down-to-earth style coupled with his laundry list of first hand encounters with the baloney of our day make this presentation (as well as many of his others) an absolute treat to watch.
A good description of what “science” actually tries to accomplish…
…science doesn’t actually prove anything to be true. It can only falsify or disconfirm a hypothesis, and provide “levels of confidence” in its findings.
Wow! Just an absolutely scathing criticism of how the Bush administrations manipulates and/or disregards science to advance thier own theological and ideological agenda and muzzled the Surgeon General. (thanks to CrooksAndLiars.com: Bush’s Former Surgeon General Blasts Administration)
Former Surgeon General Richard Carmona’s Opening Statement in the Senate Oversight Committee’s Hearing on ‘The Surgeon General’s Vital Mission: Challenges for the Future ‘:
During my first year as Surgeon General I was still quite politically naive in the ways of the Beltway. As I witnessed partisanship and political manipulation I was astounded but also unsure of what I was witnessing. I had no reference point. I asked myself whether this was just happening to me as a new Surgeon General, or whether this was the norm for all Surgeon Generals.
Richard Carmona Responds to Senator Waxman’s Questions:
Much of the discussion was being driven by theology, ideology, pre-conceived beliefs that were scientifically incorrect. So I thought this is a perfect example of the Surgeon General being able to step forward, educate the American public as well as elected and appointed officials so that we can have, if you will, informed consent on an issue to the American public to make better decisions. I was blocked at every turn. I was told the decision had already been made. Stand down, don’t talk about it. In speeches where initially that information was put in speeches it was removed from my speeches…
- Pure Fabrication, Lies and Global Warming Denial Propaganda from Non-other Than Andrew Breitbart's Big Government September 6, 2011
- "The Great Global Warming Swindle"? Shams & Lies July 12, 2007
- Firing Line 1997: a Creationism vs. Evolution Debate November 14, 2007
- ABC Australia's Tony Jones and the "Great Global Warming Swindle" debate July 17, 2007
- Matt Patterson & The New York Post Clueless About The Climate August 3, 2011
- Whose Deficit Is It? June 12, 2009
- What I'm Reading, Tuesday, April 24, 2012 April 24, 2012
- What I’m Reading, Friday, May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013
- What I’m Reading, Thursday, May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013
- What I’m Reading, Tuesday, May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013
- What I’m Reading, Monday, May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013
- What I’m Reading, Sunday, May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013
- What I’m Reading, Friday, May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013
- What I’m Reading, Thursday, May 9, 2013 May 9, 2013
- Collin: "Skeptic squared", I like that. It describes me ...
- klem: Wow, the alarmists have been reduced to 16% only. ...
- Collin: Thank you. :)...
- klem: That's odd, almost every engineer and geoscientis...
- J. Jerrald Hayes: Okay, and I guess I should have put in pompous, ar...
- William M Briggs: No, sir. It is "Holier than thee."...
- klem: Fantastic video regarding the 800 year lag. Wow. ...