Uploaded by BarryJBelmont on Jun 4, 2011
This half hour lecture is from the McGill University’s Lorne Trottier Public Science Symposium on the confrontation and threat of pseudoscience in contemporary society. As a leading figure in this movement, Dr. Michael Shermer is more than qualified to speak on many of the issues. His down-to-earth style coupled with his laundry list of first hand encounters with the baloney of our day make this presentation (as well as many of his others) an absolute treat to watch.
I don’t speak very highly of psychics. ‘Just read this tonight on The Skeptical Teacher blog
Posted by mattusmaximus on August 25, 2011
In a welcome break from some of the usual credulousness that seems to permeate the modern media landscape regarding all things paranormal, recently ABC News did an episode of “Beyond Belief” on the topic of psychics and mediums. Titled “Can Psychics Really Talk to the Dead?”, the episode focused upon famed dead-talker James Van Praagh. The interview of Van Praagh by Josh Elliot is excellent, as Elliot is respectful but appropriately skeptical of Van Praagh’s claims, especially when he conducts a bit of a deeper investigation beyond simply swallowing Van Praagh’s parlor act whole. In the interview, Elliot even nails Van Praagh for using time-tested tricks such as cold reading…
- Pure Fabrication, Lies and Global Warming Denial Propaganda from Non-other Than Andrew Breitbart's Big Government September 6, 2011
- "The Great Global Warming Swindle"? Shams & Lies July 12, 2007
- Firing Line 1997: a Creationism vs. Evolution Debate November 14, 2007
- ABC Australia's Tony Jones and the "Great Global Warming Swindle" debate July 17, 2007
- Matt Patterson & The New York Post Clueless About The Climate August 3, 2011
- Whose Deficit Is It? June 12, 2009
- What I'm Reading, Tuesday, April 24, 2012 April 24, 2012
- What I’m Reading, Tuesday, May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013
- What I’m Reading, Monday, May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013
- What I’m Reading, Sunday, May 19, 2013 May 19, 2013
- What I’m Reading, Saturday, May 18, 2013 May 18, 2013
- What I’m Reading, Friday, May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013
- What I’m Reading, Thursday, May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013
- What I’m Reading, Tuesday, May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013
- Collin: "Skeptic squared", I like that. It describes me ...
- klem: Wow, the alarmists have been reduced to 16% only. ...
- Collin: Thank you. :)...
- klem: That's odd, almost every engineer and geoscientis...
- J. Jerrald Hayes: Okay, and I guess I should have put in pompous, ar...
- William M Briggs: No, sir. It is "Holier than thee."...
- klem: Fantastic video regarding the 800 year lag. Wow. ...