- Gayle Trotter is wrong about women, violence and guns – Salon.com
- Gayle Trotter Fought VAWA Before Senate Guns Hearing | TPMDC
- Lawrence O’Donnell Eviscercates Gayle Trotter Over Gun Testimony | Video Cafe
Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
Here’s more from O’Donnell’s blog at MSNBC: ‘Guns make women safer,’ says Gayle Trotter. Study says, not so:
The use of assault weapons among women emerged as standout topic at Wednesday’s Senate hearing on gun control legislation. Gayle Trotter, a lawyer and senior fellow at the conservativeIndependent Women’s Forum, said women need that type of firearm to level the playing field when confronted by physically stronger male attackers.
The guns rights advocate told lawmakers on the Senate Judiciary Committee that “guns make women safer.” To her, AR-15s are the “weapon of choice” because “they have good handling, they’re light, they’re easy for women to hold.” And the appearance of such a “scary-looking gun” deters violent male criminals during home invasions.
But a recent study conducted by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center disputed those assertions. The study found that women living in states with more accessibility to guns are at a greater risk for violent death. This includes “unintentional gun deaths, suicides and homicide, particularly firearm suicides and firearm homicides.” (read the complete article…)
- Gayle Trotter’s fantasies of fighting off violent men don’t have anything to do with women’s realities.
- Meet Gayle Trotter, the Palin-Esque Activist Telling the Senate That Ladies Need Firearms
Climate & Climate Politics
- Why Climate Scientists Have Consistently UNDERestimated Key Global Warming Impacts | ThinkProgress
- Alley: ‘We Have High Confidence That Warming Will Shrink Greenland, By Enough To Matter A Lot To Coastal Planners’ | ThinkProgress
- NASA Retirees Who Have No Climate Expertise Try To Debunk NASA Scientists Who Do | ThinkProgress
- “..we don’t want our children to ask, “What were our parents thinking? Didn’t they care about us?” Stephen Chu’s Farewell « Climate Denial Crock of the Week
- How Cindy Jacobs and Her Prayer Warriors Saved the Global Economy | Right Wing Watch
In January, Cindy Jacobs preached at Trinity Church in Cedar Hill, Texas to reveal what God told her and the other “respected prophets” who make up the Apostolic Council of Prophetic Elders to expect in 2013.
And in order to convince her audience that she was trustworthy, Jacobs recounted some of the successful prophecies she has made over the previous years, like back in 2008 when God told her that the global economy was going to completely crash unless she mobilized her network of prayer warriors. So she did just that, getting them to pray on Wall Street and at stock exchanges all over the world, thereby saving the economy, much to the consternation of economists who “do not know why the economy did not completely crater worldwide, but we know, don’t we? Because we prayed”: