- Peter Morici writes about how he thinks the might be some positive economic outcomes from the Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene striking the northeast: RealClearPolitics – Estimating the Economic Impact of Hurricane Irene.
- Now watch this and think about what Morici wrote:
The Broken Window Fallacy – YouTube.
- Rick Perry’s Fight against The “March of Socialism” | NationofChange.
- History of Climate Change: Part 1- Learning The Greenhouse Effect – Weather and Climate – timesunion.com – Albany NY.
- Ask Sam Harris Anything #1 : Sam Harris.
- ProPublica—Journalism in the Public Interest a great website (an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest) I just discovered this morning with a great starting page to learn more about the challenger candidates for President 2012 Presidential Campaign Reading Guides – ProPublica
- How To Honor the True Spirit of 9/11: First, Ignore Limbaugh | NationofChange.
If volunteerism is suddenly unpatriotic and even “socialist,” that will come as a nasty surprise to many of the Republicans and conservatives who always have supported such efforts, notably including both presidents named Bush. And if stepping up to help our neighbors and community on 9/11 would somehow dishonor the Americans killed in those infamous attacks — as feverish critics of President Barack Obama now scream — then what do they think actually happened on that day 10 years ago?
The latest outbreak of phony outrage began when the president, following a tradition established by George W. Bush, announced that he and the first lady will mark the upcoming anniversary as a “National Day of Service and Remembrance” and urged Americans to “come together, in their communities and neighborhoods, to honor the victims of 9/11 and to reaffirm the strength of our nation with acts of service and charity.”
To Rush Limbaugh and assorted lesser cogs in the right-wing noise machine, that was a deeply controversial statement and an attempt to “politicize” the event — as if the White House had ordered everybody to put on blue caps, join a local Obama for America chapter and then build a solar house for the poor.
- The Last Labor Day | NationofChange. E. J. Dione writes “Let’s get it over with and rename the holiday “Capital Day.” We may still celebrate Labor Day, but our culture has given up on honoring workers as the real creators of wealth and their honest toil — the phrase itself seems antique — as worthy of genuine respect…”
- GIVING UP SMOKING IS VERY DIFFICULT – YouTube.
Hat tip to my sister-in-law Colleen and her friend who posted it on FB.