Climate & Climate Politics
- Monckton responds to “potholer54” | Wott’s Up With That?
- Scientists say global warming can be slowed and millions of lives saved by cutting down emissions of methane and soot – NY Daily News
- With a big strong hat tip to Camels with Hammers: What It’s Like To Be Transgendered (A Response To The Anti-Transgender Girl Scout) | Camels With Hammers
This is a tour de force reply to the Girl Scout who was protesting the GSUSA’s openly welcoming incorporation of transgendered girls into their programs. Thanks to Trickster Goddess for sharing it in the other post’s comments section.
- Watch: Dan Savage Savages GOProud as ‘Gay Quislings’ and ‘Useful Idiots’ Helping to Window-Dress the Homophobic GOP |Gay News|Gay Blog Towleroad
GOProud isn’t a pro-gay rights organization, they’re an organization of gay quislings and useful idiots that help to window-dress the Republican Party which is really still rabidly anti-gay to it’s core. It’s a little window dressing, a little gay window dressing, that allows them to appeal to moderates perhaps and independents as being less bigoted than the Republican party actually is.
(A big hat tip to GOProud isn’t a pro-gay rights organization,…)
Science (and Education)
- A hat tip to: Math: It’s How Plants Work | Friendly Atheist
Vi Hart‘s math videos just keep getting better. In case you missed Part 1 of her Fibonacci series (Ha! Math humor!), check this out.
Part 2 is here and it’s even better than the first:
Wow! this is great fun. Great stuff! Who knew math could be so exciting and entertaining. Let’s take a look at…
- Part One
- Part Three, ‘can’t wait…
- And here is the author/videographer’s web site: Vi Hart: Blog reading her About Vi page there I can see she is now “now a full-time mathemusician at Khan Academy!” I first heard and learned about The Kahn Academy via this TEDTalk video:
- Salman Khan: Let’s use video to reinvent education | Video on TED.com
- Super PACs Keep Zombie Candidates Alive | National Memo | Breaking News, Smart Politics
- 3 billionaires who’ll drag out the race – Kenneth P. Vogel – POLITICO.com
- Democurmudgeon: Jobs charts…How Obama is Doing. (a great collection of charts from John Peterson over at Democurmudgeon)
Politics — Mitt Romney
- Opinion: You can blame Mitt Romney, but not for Bain Capital – Steven Rattner – POLITICO.com
- Hey Mitt? Remember that time you put your dog…
Hey Mitt? Remember that time you put your dog Seamus in his carrier, then strapped the carrier to the roof of your car for a 12-hour, non-stop drive (during which you ignored Seamus’ repeated barking and crying)? Remember how he pooped and peed in his carrier and it all ran down onto the car, coating it in waste? Animal cruelty Good times, huh?
- The Immoral Minority: Romney’s mistreatment of his dog Seamus is now referred to as “Crate-gate.” Can I tell you how much I love that?
Economics & The Economy
- Warren Buffett Strikes Back at GOP Critics, Bashes Private Equity – Deal Journal – WSJ
Warren Buffett has taken some potshots for his push for the wealthiest Americans to pay more in taxes. Now, the ultra-billionaire is returning fire.
In a new Time magazine interview, Buffett said he would match any Republican Congressmen’s donations towards the national debt, after some critics said Buffett should simply write a check to Uncle Sam if he thinks the rich don’t pay their fair share. (See updated comment below.)
And then Buffett takes on the hot political/financial topic of the moment: whether the private-equity business destroys or creates jobs. Time writes:
“Buffett says that while businesses shouldn’t have around people they don’t need, ‘I don’t like what private equity firms do in terms of taking out every dime they can and leveraging [companies] up so that they really aren’t equipped, in some cases, for the future.’”
- Buffett Challenges McConnell, Republicans on Tax Policy | Swampland | TIME.com
- Warren Buffett Challenges Republicans To Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is On Deficit Reduction | ThinkProgress