- Obama Says ‘Pay Attention’ to the GOP – ABC News
PHILADELPHIA — President Obama concluded a day of fundraising across two states by telling supporters to “pay attention” to what Republican rivals were offering as contrasts to his policies.
“I am telling you, I want you all to pay attention over the next five months and see if they’re offering a single thing that they did not try when they were in charge, because you won’t see it,” he said.
Speaking at this city’s Franklin Institute, Obama reminded the crowd of the last Democrat to reside in the White House, Bill Clinton. It was the last time the federal government maintained a budget surplus.
By the time I got into office, we had a $1 trillion deficit because of tax cuts that weren’t paid for, two wars that weren’t paid for, a prescription drug plan that was not paid for,” he said.
“We had baked into the cake structural deficits that were made even worse by the financial crisis,” he then said of George W. Bush.
The president tried to draw a parallel with presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney’s support of a $5 trillion tax cut, saying he could guess at how it would work.
“Either it’s not paid for, in which case, that’s $5 trillion that’s piled on top of the debt we already have, passed onto the next generation,” the president began. “Or it’s going to come from middle-class families.”
- The National Memo » The House’s Latest Health Care Vote Puts Campaign Cash Ahead of People
- Why Ignoring The Right-Wing Media Isn’t An Option | Media Matters for America
- Analyzing Obama’s speech on economy, re-election – Hardball Blog
Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
- Romney Adviser Lays Out Iran Policy Nearly Identical To Obama’s: ‘Romney Will Seek A Negotiated Settlement’ | ThinkProgress
Climate and Climate Politics
- What The Rising Belief In Global Warming Tells Us About Independent Voters | Ology
- Why climate polls don’t mean much | Grist
- The Climate Corporation Raises $50 Million in Financing Round Led by Founders Fund – MarketWatch