Just Well Worth Reading
- For Thanksgiving, Debunk Your Family’s Chain Emails : NPR
- and on that note: Top 5 FOX Myths To Debunk This Thanksgiving | MoveOn.Org
- Smartest Newt in the room – Edward-Isaac Dovere – POLITICO.com.
- Daily Kos: Bull’s Eye! Chait on Liberals, History, Obama. A must-read for Progressives…
- Jonathan Chait on Liberal Disappointment — New York Magazine
- David Frum on the GOP’s Lost Sense of Reality — New York Magazine
- Go Big, Mr. Obama – NYTimes.com
- Over 150 Economists Sign Letter Of Support For OWS | Care2 Causes
Recently Newt Gingrich publicly dismissed the Occupy Wall Street movement as being nothing but unemployed, uneducated rabble in need of a bath.
Of course, this flippant label makes no sense to anyone that has visited an OWS encampment, talked with its supporters, or even lightly researched the movement.
To further disprove the idea that only idiot socialists would identify with OWS, a group of top economists from around the world recently released a statement supporting the movement (see below).
“We are economists who oppose ideological cleansing in the economics profession. Equally we oppose political cleansing in the vital debate over the causes and consequences of our current economic crisis.
We support the efforts of the Occupy Wall Street movement across the country and across the globe to liberate the economy from the short-term greed of the rich and powerful “one percent”.
We oppose cynical and perverse attempts to misuse our police officers and public servants to expel advocates of the public good from our public spaces.
We extend our support to the vision of building an economy that works for the people, for the planet, and for the future, and we declare our solidarity with the Occupiers who are exercising our democratic right to demand economic and social justice.”
The statement has been signed by 170 economists so far and is still growing.
- Rep. John Conyers: Eliminating Regulations That Protect the Health and Safety of Americans Is Not Job Creation
- via R i g h t a r d i a: Political Loudmouth: I refuse to believe corporations are people . . ..
Environment & Environmental Politics
Climate & Climate Politics
- Climategate 2.0: Do new emails undermine global warming science? – Capital Weather Gang – The Washington Post
- Bad News for Deniers: Grown-ups Weigh in on Email Leftovers « Climate Denial Crock of the Week
- You’re Driving a Bus Full of Kids With a Curve Ahead – NYTimes.com
Economics & The Economy
- Huntsman and the GOP Debate on Unwinding Too Big To Fail | Rortybomb
- Income Inequality, Loser Liberalism and the Progressive Assault on Laissez-Faire | Rortybomb which lead me to…
- Explainer: How Did Inequality in America Get So Bad? And What Can the Government Do to Fix It? | The Nation
- The End of Loser Liberalism: Making Markets Progressive (the PDF here which is free is about 160 pages so I will finish reading it tomorrow/Thanksgiving)
- Loser Liberalism is a Winner | Jared Bernstein | On the Economy
- Patents And Inequality | ThinkProgress (by Matthew Yglesias)
- The End of Loser Liberalism: An Interview with Dean Baker Part I « naked capitalism
- The End of Loser Liberalism: An Interview with Dean Baker Part II « naked capitalism