Economics & The Economy
Ronald Regan’s one time budget director David Stockman has written a NYT op-ed entitled Sundown in America which is being described alternately as “How the GOP Destroyed the US economy” (a follow up to his 2010 op-ed Four Deformations of the Apocalypse and it causing a stir.
- Stockman: How the GOP Destroyed the U.S. Economy | The Big Picture
Barry Ritholz writes— “…I bring this up as an intro to David Stockman’s brutal critique of Republican fiscal policy. Stockman was the director of the Office of Management and Budget under President Ronald Reagan. His NYT OpEd — subhed: How the GOP Destroyed the US economy — perfectly summarizes the most legitimate critiques of decades of GOP economic policy.I can sum it up thusly: Whereas the Democrats have no economic policy, the Republicans have a very bad one. (read the complete article…)
- Cranky Old Men – NYTimes.com Krugman didn’t think too highly of it…
We’ve been doomed, yes doomed, ever since FDR took us off the gold standard and introduced unemployment insurance. What about those 80 years of non-doom? Just a series of lucky accidents. Now we’re really doomed. I mean it!
Actually, I was disappointed in Stockman’s piece. I thought there would be some kind of real argument, some presentation, however tendentious, of evidence. Instead it’s just a series of gee-whiz, context- and model-free numbers embedded in a rant — and not even an interesting rant. It’s cranky old man stuff, the kind of thing you get from people who read Investors Business Daily, listen to Rush Limbaugh, and maybe, if they’re unusually teched up, get investment advice from Zero Hedge.
- More Stockman – NYTimes.com
- David Stockman bombshell: How my Republican Party destroyed the American economy. | ThinkProgress
- KRUGMAN: David Stockman Is Just A Cranky Old Man – Business Insider
- Reagan Insider: ‘GOP Destroyed U.S. Economy’ – Yahoo! Finance
- David Stockman, Super-Krugman | The Daily Caller
- Why This Atheist Doesn’t Need To Watch “Jesus Camp” – YouTube A really great poetically written piece from a channel I just discovered over this past weekend. I am now a subscriber to the channel.