- Romney’s Veep Choice: Paul Ryan, Koch Ally and ‘Right-Wing Social Engineer’ | Alternet
- Balloon Juice » Blog Archive » I Love The Smell of Panic in the Morning
….Ryan is a indication of just how unfocused and off-message Romney’s campaign has become. The core Romney pitch was supposed to be that he’s the successful CEO who’s going to run the country the way he ran Bain and the Olympics, and that he showed us what he can do as CEO of Massachusetts. After the Obama campaign and the press got through demolishing those fables, everything about them is tarnished and off-limits. So instead of putting some interesting non-politician captain of industry on the ticket, we’ve get someone who thinks he’s John Galt but who has actually spent his entire adult life in Washington DC either working for politicians or being one.—(read the complete article…)
- Mitt Romney Would Pay 0.82 Percent in Taxes Under Paul Ryan’s Plan – Matthew O’Brien – The Atlantic
- Paul Ryan: bold, risky pick for Romney VP – CSMonitor.com
- Analysis: Will economics be enough for Ryan to boost Romney? – USATODAY.com
- Brad DeLong: Paul Ryan’s Wine
- 5 Things You Can Expect from Washington if You Elect Republicans | Alternet
- Plan It Forward: The Right Way To Put Americans To Work On American Lands | ThinkProgress
- ‘When I Hear Mitt Romney Speak it Makes Me Sick to My Stomach’ | Occupy America
Healthcare & the Affordable Care Act
- Some raw numbers on health care costs
- Is the Health Care Cost Curve Bending? – Hit & Run : Reason.com
Economic & The Economny
- Eurozone needs a growth strategy, not more austerity | Nouriel Roubini | Business | guardian.co.uk
- Economist Nouriel Roubini predicts Europe will weigh down U.S. economy – USATODAY.com
- Flailing Eurozone Countries Agreeing To Two Years Of Austerity Makes About As Much Sense To Nouriel Roubini As Him Agreeing To Go Two Years Without Getting Laid– Which Is To Say, NONE « Dealbreaker: Wall Street Insider – Financial News, Headlines, Commentary and Analysis – Hedge Funds, Private Equity, Banks
- Eurozone Crisis:”Austerity does not foster growth” -Gemma Godfrey,Nouriel Roubini, CNBC (Sept/11) – YouTube
- US economic outlook brightens on jobs, trade data – Saturday, Aug. 11, 2012 | 3:41 a.m. – Las Vegas Sun News
The Tea Party (The 21st Century edition of the John Birch Society)
- VIDEO: Tea Party Councilman Holds Sign Featuring Severed Obama Head | ThinkProgress
A Tea Party councilman is so far defying calls for his resignation after an old video resurfaced that shows him holding signs depicting President Obama’s head on a pike, former Governor Jennifer Granholm with a noose around her neck and Nancy Pelosi with several bullet holes through her face.Paul Smith, a city councilman in Sterling Heights, Michigan, is clearly seen in a 2009 video holding a sign with a photo of President Obama’s dismembered head atop a pike and a caption reading “shit on a stick,”
To show our governor, our president, the Speaker of the house, what we really think of them. That these people are anti-American, they’re un-American. Basically, they’re worse than any of the enemies America has ever fought against…We fought against communism for 46 years in the cold war, and basically we’ve let a communist in the White House. He’s not just a socialist, he’s an out-and-out communist. He’s taken over the auto industry, he’s taken over the banks. Socialists have high taxes, communists take over businesses, take over ownership. That’s what he’s done, that’s why I’m against him.
Watch the video here [warning: some of the images are graphic]:
Smith’s offensive signs were too vulgar even for his fellow protestors, some of whom can be heard accusing Smith of being a set-up trying to make the rest of the crowd look bad (he denied those allegations in the video). He was elected to the city council in 2011.
The city council responded to the revelations by condemning “the personal viewpoints expressed by Mr. Smith on the signage displayed in the YouTube video and his attempted defense of the disturbing content.”
Earlier this week, the other members of the city council voted 6-1 in favor of formally asking Smith to resign, though there is nothing to force Smith to acquiesce. And on Thursday, two Secret Service agents visited Smith at his home after someone called the agency to flag Smith’s remarks.
While I guess the folks who called this councilman a plant to make the Tea Party look bad should be commended instead of criticizing the journalist shouldn’t they have said something to him and driven him out of this rally before this reporter began to report on him?