Climate & Climate Politics
- Historic Climate Data Informs Modern Models | Warming Planet | LiveScience
- Are Republicans Warming to Climate Change? – NationalJournal.com
- The Effects of Global Warming | LiveScience
- It’s hot! Must be global warming … or not – Science
- And right wing political denial of the scientific evidence marches with this op-ed attack on the science: The Improving Science of Anthropogenic Global Warming | RedState CFCs not CO2 Drives AGW? I’ll have to fisk this one sometime in the coming weeks but the same idea that the “scientific paper” the Red State Op-Ed is drawing was debunked and discredited long ago Qing-Bin Lu revives debunked claims about cosmic rays and CFCs | Climate Science Watch
– In response to Lu’s most recent publication, several different scientists interviewed by the Vancouver Sun each said that Lu’s conclusions “[go] against 150 years of very fundamental physics.”
– Critics point out that Lu’s paper fails to make the leap from correlation to causation, one of the most basic and most common scientific failings. This error is simply illustrated in the classic fable of the rooster who believes the sun rises because he crows. Two things may happen at the same time, but this does not mean one causes the other. A “physical mechanism” by which the two events are connected must be known, in order to fully understand causation.
– In contrast, there is strong experimental evidence of the physical mechanism by which CO2 warms the planet, evidence that (as scientists have mentioned already in response to Lu) dates back 150 years.
In short the story behind the Red State article can be dismissed as bullshit right wing propaganda but I am sure will see more of this is the coming weeks. Nothing new here.
- Global warming caused by CFCs, not carbon dioxide, researcher claims in controversial study
- Was a squirrel discovered on Mars? | ZDNet (The emphasis is mine)
Like most spectacular findings that emerge on the Internet, a photo that appears to reveal a rat or squirrel on Mars has resurfaced and is being reported this week by many mainstream media outlets. Reports are based on undated findings from the site UFO Sightings Daily which showed “evidence” that rodents could possibly exist on Mars.
A little history of the rat from the Examiner.com shows that the original photo was taken on Sept. 28, 2012 by NASA’s rover Curiosity and then reported on UFO Sightings Daily on Dec. 4, 2012 (above). Ananalysis of the photo published on May 10 on the Mars Anomaly Research site apparently rekindled the current craze. It was also reported in January by Strangetek.com and other sites that NASA had brought the rat to Mars for testing.
A look at Google today showed hundreds of sites, led by Fox News, reporting the discovery.
But wait. Just because there’s no breathable air for Earth mammals, no food, and almost no water on the Red Planet doesn’t mean we can’t have fun with it.
Here’s the image that supposedly shows the rodent up close.
Fox News of course! Geez……