- Can Chuck Schumer win back Wall St. for Democrats? – Kate Nocera and Manu Raju – POLITICO.com
- Romney: Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran | The Nation (it is apparently very clear to Romney that if he’s President he has the authority to start a war with Iran WITHOUT congressional approval)
- Jay-Z for President? | The Nation (Melissa Harris Perry makes the case for why having a President with Business Experience is a terribly flawed bogus arguement. Hey our last “Business Man President”? That would be Herbert Hoover and he famous for two things; a dam that is named after his and the Great Depression)
Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy
If Mitt Romney thinks that a president with experience in the private sector is exactly what America needs, then shouldn’t we think about electing Jay-Z? Nation columnist Melissa Harris-Perry breaks down the fallacy of the argument of Romney as a CEO-in-Chief, and looks at his mixed record as governor of Massachusetts. She’s joined by BET columnist Keith Boykin, the Huffington Post‘s Peter Goodman and Newsweek’s Michael Tomasky to discuss how Romney embraced the role of government when he was an elected official, and how he’s pandering to anti-government sentiment as he seeks the presidency.
Economic & The Economy
- Paul Krugman: ‘Ireland Is Romney Economics In Practice’
If Mitt Romney is elected president, the U.S. will experience an economic disaster the likes of which have been recently seen in Ireland, according to Paul Krugman.
“Ireland is Romney economics in practice,” the Nobel-Prize winning economist andNew York Times columnist said on the Colbert Report on Monday. “I think Ireland is America’s future if Romney is president.” (h/t Politico.)
“They’ve laid off a large fraction of their public workforce, they’ve slashed spending, they’ve had extreme austerity programs, they haven’t really raised taxes on corporations or the rich at all, they have 14 percent unemployment, 30 percent youth unemployment, zero economic growth,” Krugman said.
(…read the complete article…) The display of Paul Krugman Quotes at the end of the article is well worth the visit.
- World leaders at G-20 summit in Mexico weigh stimulus vs. austerity in debate to rescue Europe – The Washington Post
- Behind scenes at G20, leaders pressure Merkel to pull away from austerity plan – First Read
- Paul Krugman on Europe ‘Doing the Unthinkable’ | PBS NewsHour
- Economist Paul Krugman on Germany’s ‘Whips and Scourges’ | The Business Desk with Paul Solman | PBS NewsHour | PBS
- World leaders weigh stimulus vs. austerity at G-20 – Boston.com
Climate & Climate Politics
- Yet another study confirms global warming is human-caused | Ars Technica
- Global warming: Arctic sea ice extent dips toward new lows « Summit County Citizens Voice
- Global warming could make Antarctica green again, according to USC, JPL scientists | 89.3 KPCC
- My wisdom tooth « Why Evolution Is True
(the emphasis is mine)…Apart from my personal medical woes, there are two evolutionary lessons here. The first is that the wisdom teeth are vestigial organs: they are a remnant of the time when our ancestors had larger jaws and needed the full set of 32 teeth to process a diet consisting largely of vegetation. Our jaws are smaller now and can’t fit those four back teeth, with the result that they are often impacted—that is, they don’t erupt properly. This can cause a whole host of problems, including infections, cysts, and even tumors. As Christopher Hitchens used to argue, many of our ancestors probably died from infected teeth, particularly before there was extraction. As the link above notes, “the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons estimates that about 85 percent of wisdom teeth will eventually need to be removed.” Others take issue with this figure. (…read the complete article…)