Irene forced me back into reading the old fashioned books these past couple of days (Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming ). But electrical power, internet and phone service just came back a couple of hours ago so I’m catching up again. Whewwww! So okay what am I reading tonight:
- Politics Overtaking Science in Global Warming Debate | USA | English.
- A denial piece from Heartland Institute propaganda writer James Taylor Yes, There’s A Link Between Hurricane Irene And Global Warming – Forbes
- RealClimate: Forbes’ rich list of nonsense
- Finding The Humility Alcoholics Anonymous Requires, But Without A “Higher Power” | Camels With Hammers I got sober in AA some 26 years ago and ironically while I was in the program I woke up and began my journey to atheism.
- Taking hostages in a hurricane? A hat tip my friend Jeff Nash for bringing me in on this one. Please click on the link and sign the petition to Tell Eric Cantor to Stop Blocking Disaster Relief Funds.
- This one is really great,…Bang Goes the Theory: Evolution Made Simple – YouTube
Thanks to my friend Bob Walker for this one.
- Why the Evolution Question Matters | Dispatches from the Culture Wars
- Talking about the weather | Pharyngula PZ gives us a clue to a hilarious Fox News segment What Do Atheists Do in Crisis? – Fox Business Video – FoxBusiness.com. It’s especially entertaining to watch the woman Fox anchor really lose it.
- This blog article The Gospel of Rick Perry | The Zingularity pointed me to this Miami-Herald article:
- Texas Gov. Perry became a millionaire while serving in office – Political Currents – MiamiHerald.com
- Ham is rich in irony | Pharyngula
- Loaded dice and loaded guns | The Zingularity
- The Origianal Autographs | Unreasonable Faith Hilarious, a autographed copy of the bible!
- Someone has taken the Coulter Challenge! | Pharyngula PZ at his best!
“…Egnor is no exception. He can’t possibly make a simple point lucidly, but has to throw out a lot of frenzied chum to distract and give him an escape hatch: so he babbles about evolution being a religion, atheists, obnoxious Darwinists, Scientology, falsifiability, yadda yadda yadda. It’s badly written, sloppy thinking, and I give him a D on form alone. Any other people taking the challenge, learn from this: try to write something coherent and on point. I’m asking for a scalpel, and when you yank out the kitchen silverware drawer and turn it upside down making a noisy clatter, you aren’tanswering the request.
So I picked through the puke and found one chunk from Egnor that seems relevant to Coulter’s claim, so I’ll address that…” (read the whole post to see PZ shred the arguement)
- Prose and Cons: How We Believe | The Digital Cuttlefish