On Rubio’s SOTU Rebuttal
- Chris Weigant: Rubio Turns Water to Whine
…According to Rubio, Democrats (those meanies!) love to falsely attack the motives of the pure-hearted Republicans. Now, while the rest of Rubio’s speech is ripe territory for pointing out falsehoods, prevarications, obfuscations, and hilariously outrageous spin, let’s just concentrate on the one line: “[the president] and his allies usually respond by falsely attacking [Republicans’] motives.”This excerpt from Rubio’s speech occurred only six paragraphs after he said the following:
Presidents in both parties — from John F. Kennedy to Ronald Reagan — have known that our free enterprise economy is the source of our middle class prosperity.
But President Obama? He believes it’s the cause of our problems. That the economic downturn happened because our government didn’t tax enough, spend enough and control enough. And, therefore, as you heard tonight, his solution to virtually every problem we face is for Washington to tax more, borrow more and spend more.
Got that? President Obama “believes” that “our free enterprise economy” is “the cause of our problems.” If that isn’t a “false attack” on Obama’s “motives,” I don’t know what is.
Rubio can apparently read Obama’s mind. I know this because if Obama had ever said anything along the lines of “America’s free enterprise economy is the root cause of all our problems!” I believe I would have heard about it. Many, many times, in fact. From Fox News, at the very least. In fact, such a clip would have been at the heart of the last presidential campaign. But it wasn’t. Know why? Because he never said it. But even though he never said it, he still “believes” it — which Marco Rubio was kind enough to share with us all last night. You see, Rubio can accurately divine what motivates the president in his whole agenda. And Rubio sees absolutely nothing wrong with attacking such motivation — even though it is false….(read the complete article…)
On Ted Cruz….
- Ted Cruz jumps to the top of my Wing Nuts We Can Do Without list with Nelson To Cruz: You’re ‘Over The Line’ Questioning Hagel’s Patriotism | TPM LiveWir and …
- Cruz Speculates That Hagel May Have Received Money From ‘Radical Or Extreme Groups’ | TPM LiveWire
- ‘Senator Cruz Has Gone Over The Line’: Colleagues Slam Ted Cruz For Irresponsible Rhetoric On Hagel | ThinkProgress
- VIEWPOINT: How A Very Smart Senator Showed Us Everything Wrong With The Modern GOP In One Week | ThinkProgress
- GOP Senator Peddles Debunked Misinformation On Gun Violence | ThinkProgress
- Daily Kos: GOP Civil War: Establishment guns after Club for Growth
…in Ted Cruz‘s primary victory in Texas. Cruz, of course, is now auditioning for the role of “2013’s Allen West” to great conservative acclaim. Compared to Karl Rove’s track record, the Club has been a success! But “success” and “elections” are all relative terms when it comes to the GOP, a party that has now lost the popular vote in five of the …
Economics & The Economy
Still more on the Krugman – Chait – Scarborogh kerfuffle.
- A Very Long 12 Hours – Esquire
- Krugman schools ‘Morning Joe’ on austerity: ‘How many times’ do I have to be right? | The Raw Story